Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Top 100 Children's Novels



Back in January I posted an entry about a poll that Betsy Bird, from the School Library Journal, was running on the top 100 children's books. She asked people to submit their top ten choices for favorite children's novels. She compiled them and, since February 8th, she has been counting down from 100. On Monday she posted the number one book. Before I give you the link, stop and think. What would be your choice for the number one slot? What about your top ten?

Here are the ten I submitted to Betsy back in January:

#1 From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler
#2 Holes
#3 James and the Giant Peach
#4 Bud, not Buddy
#5 Harriett the Spy
#6 Charlotte's Web
#7 Tuck Everlasting
#8 Bridge to Terabithia
#9 Number the Stars
#10 When You Reach Me

As the results rolled in over the last eight weeks, I can't believe how many "how could I have forgotten ______moments" I had. I mean Little Women is just about my favorite book of all time, and I completely left it off of my list. I didn't include one Harry Potter. I completely forgot about one of my all-time favorites--Anne of Green Gables. I also forgot one of my new favorites--The Tale of Despereaux. Oy! More than anything it made me realize just how many great children's books are out there and how difficult it is to choose just ten.

Betsy went on to post about some of the books that surprisingly didn't make the list. Wonderful books like Stuart Little, A Cricket in Times Square, The Moffats, and Black Beauty. It just goes to show that it's impossible to narrow the list to a mere 100 books.

So without further ado, here's the link. If you have time, click on the books that interest you. Betsy has done a wonderful job providing lots of background info and old book covers. Happy Reading!

No comments: