Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Power of Literature

I've been on vacation for the past week, and am just getting settled back into my routine. Today I want to share a short video that a friend recently sent me. It's a trailer from the PBS series Point-of-View, and features Rafe Esquith, a fifth grade teacher of inner-city kids at Hobart Boulevard Elementary School in Los Angeles. After watching this, the power of literature (and the power of a great teacher) will never be disputed. Click here to watch the five-minute trailer.

If this whetted your appetite, check out Rafe Esquith and the Hobart Shakespeareans' website. With the new school year beginning in a couple of weeks, his site is inspirational for parents and teachers alike. His motto-Be Nice. Work Hard-is posted at the top of the page. A simple, potent message we should all remember.

He has also written three books: There Are No Shortcuts; Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56 and Lighting Their Fires: Raising Extraordinary Children in a Mixed-up, Muddled-up, Shook-up World. While I haven't read any of them yet, I have already placed a hold at my local library on There are No Shortcuts. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: